- This event has passed.
“Jesus and the Disinherited” book study
September 21 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, happening 3 times
Jesus and the Disinherited, by Howard Thurman
Tuesdays, September 14, 21, and 28
6:30-7:30PM on Zoom (Watch your email or contact Bill Lamb at email@example.com for the Zoom link)
We’ll share in discussion and absorb some of our Sunday Morning Bible Study Group’s enthusiasm, awe, and respect for this book. Thurman’s words helped shape the civil rights movement and changed our nation’s history forever, and they still speak to us as clearly today, calling us to read the Gospel as a manual of resistance for the poor and disenfranchised. Let’s gather on Zoom and be reminded together that hatred does not empower – it decays. Only through self-love and love of one another can God’s justice prevail.
How do I get the book? Five copies have been ordered at the discounted price of $12.50 each, and can be picked up after worship at fellowship this Sunday, September 5, or on Welcoming Sunday, September 12. Funds are available for those who need the church to cover the cost. You can also order your own copy from Quail Ridge Books at the following link: https://www.quailridgebooks.com/book/9780807010297
How might I prepare?
- The Sunday Morning Bible Study Group also recommends you consider watching Backs Against the Wall: The Howard Thurman Story. This 57 minute documentary explores the extraordinary life of Howard Thurman, a teacher, poet and in his heart a “mystic,” and proponent of the non-violent struggle for social change. Here is the link to watch this important film: Backs Against The Wall: The Howard Thurman Story (2019) | Full Movie
- Read the chapters for discussion (revised schedule)
- September 14: Introduction and Love
- September 21: Fear, Deception and Hate
- September 28: Love and Epilogue with discussion of “What does this mean for us?”
If you have questions about the book study, contact Bill Lamb firstname.lastname@example.org.